Thursday, December 27, 2007

Amazingly useful, time-saving DNA resources for prosecutors.


We are busy. We are, actually, swamped. We are DAs - it's a way of life for us. So, when I come across something that saves me time - and in this case an incredible amount of time - I save it. And I share it.

Check out this website for a minute or two and come right back:

http://www.denverda.org/DNA/DNA_INDEX.htm

Seems our friends at the District Attorney's office in Denver have decided that since they know everything about DNA and prosecution, they might as well share it with the world. Here you'll find everything from helpful caselaw on admissibility of the different types of DNA identification to (get this) a template for how to prepare a John Doe arrest warrant based on nothing more than a DNA profile. Yep, that's right - if all you have is a DNA profile of a suspect, and no name or other physical description, you can maybe still get your case on file. Pretty cool when you need to avoid pesky statute of limitations issues, probably. Good stuff on post-conviction use of DNA. I like how all of this is freely available to the entire world, including the defense.

And if you didn't click on the above link, just check out this stash of information:

http://www.denverda.org/DNA/Forensic_DNA_Articles.htm

So, kudos to you, Mr. Denver DA. Seems this Morrissey guy is pretty generous.

Enjoy!

-Frank and the YFTP Staff

2 comments:

Sarena Straus said...

Frank! Welcome to prosecutor blogging - it's so nice to have some company!! I just posted a link to your blog on my blog and hope you will do the same. I've been lazy about posting lately between the day job, TV commentating, working on another book and being 6.5 months pregnant, but I'm working on a new article and will keep at it. I look forward to your posts!

Ed Veronda said...

I welcome you as well.
http://westernjustice.blogspot.com/